If you are like most homeowners, chances are that you have tile somewhere in your home. Tile is often found in bathrooms, kitchens, and entryways as it is beautiful, durable, and easy to clean. While tile is easy to clean, the grout found in between tile pieces is not. Most grout is a light color and stains easily, leaving a discolored and dingy look to your floors, countertops, and shower surrounds. Fortunately, most common household cleaners can get the job done along with a little elbow grease. Here are some grout cleaning tips from your friends at Indy Renovation to keep your tile looking sparkling and new.
It is important to sweep and mop your tile floors to remove as much dirt and stains as possible before the real scrubbing begins. Then, once you are ready to tackle the grout, work in one small area, about 1 to 2 square feet, at a time. This will allow you to see how effective your chosen method is without wasting time and effort on the entire floor.
Try These Methods
- Water and Brush- spray warm water on your grout surface and scrub with a stiff-bristled brush in a circular motion.
- Vinegar and Baking Soda- fill spray bottle with 50% vinegar and 50% warm water. Spray on the grout and let stand 5 minutes before brushing. For extra cleaning power, apply a baking soda and water combination paste to the grout before spraying with vinegar. Scrub once it has stopped foaming, and rinse with warm water.
- Vinegar and Ammonia- mix 7 cups warm water, 1/2 cup baking soda, 1/3 cup ammonia, and 1/4 cup white vinegar until baking soda is dissolved. Spray on grout and let it sit 3 to 5 minutes before scrubbing.
- Oxygen Bleach- for the most stubborn stains, try mixing oxygen bleach according to the manufacturer’s instructions and apply to grout for 10 to 15 minutes before scrubbing and rinsing. Be sure to open windows and have fans blowing.
Don’t put in all of this work only to have your grout stained again in a matter of weeks or months. Take these steps to maintain clean grout and prevent future stains.
- Clean up stains as soon as they happen.
- Spray your floor with a vinegar solution once a week, and then wipe it down.
- Apply grout sealer once per year.
Indy Renovation is Indianapolis’ premier bathroom remodeler specializing in all facets of bathroom remodeling, design, repairs, and even plumbing. Contact us today at (317) 375-4464 to learn more or to set up a free consultation.