If you have been researching bathroom design trends in preparation for your next remodel, you may have seen on a number of blogs, including ours, that a major change is happening in walk-in showers. Tub and shower combos, while practical and preferred for smaller spaces, are a thing of the past. The latest look for showers is a frameless look with little to no hardware. These showers often have just one glass panel and sometimes don’t even have a door. Many don’t have a floor dam at all so the tiled floor extends from the rest of the bathroom into the shower, sloping slightly around the drain. The goal is for the shower to blend seamlessly with the rest of the room for a tranquil and spa-like atmosphere. Before committing to this trend, the professionals at Indy Renovation want you to be sure that this type of custom shower is right for you. Here are a few pros and cons of the frameless walk-in shower trend.
- It provides a minimalist aesthetic that works well with many interior designs.
- Allows for custom sizing, while framed doors mostly come in standard sizes.
- Can be easier to clean because there are no nooks and crannies around metal framing where mold and dirt can hide.
- It is considered a luxury feature that could add value to your home.
- Transparency creates the impression of more space in your bathroom.
- Generally more expensive than framed shower doors (up to 200% more).
- There are no insulating materials or frames to block water from leaking out.
- Shower heads must be strategically placed so that they don’t spray water through the open spaces.
- Construction and installation is more difficult because (1) glass has to be tempered so it does not shatter, and (2) must be cut precisely so it will fit in the space and leave no gaps for water to leak out.
Overall, frameless walk-in showers provide a beautiful aesthetic. However, they can be complicated to install and quite expensive. If you’re in the Indianapolis area, including Fishers and Carmel, Indy Renovation can help create the shower of your dreams, no matter what design you choose. For more information on custom showers, tubs, and tile, contact us today at (317) 375-4464.